Friday, July 27, 2007

Harry

So, I finally finished the final chapter of Harry Potter yesterday evening. As soon as I finished the last page I processed for about 3 minutes and then called my parents house hoping that either mom or Veeves would answer... you can always count on Valerie to follow through with your hopes and wishes. We discussed the book for about 15 minutes and then went our separate ways.

Around 11:30 am today I called my mom to process through the book with her. I know it may sound slightly tacky to use the word "process" with a children's fiction novel... but man, there is so much detail and 7 years worth of storyline to finally see how it all comes together.
My mom and I both shed tears over parts of the book that really broke our hearts and discussed topics that we found to be quite interesting.

I recognize that many Christians have very strong opinions against these novels and I recognize where most are coming from on the basis of witchcraft and wizardry. I humbly respect your decision not to read these books. However, I find these books to be so much for than just an enjoyable fiction novel. Throughout the 7 years these books take place there is a constant battle between good vs. evil, between dark and light.

As my mom and I discussed, once you get to the end of the book, though I would never compare Harry to Jesus in any sort of literal sense, you really do recognize that this book really does have some pretty heavy take-aways from it... I do not want to say too much because I know a certain sister of mine has still not had the chance to read it.

Moral of the story... I am so glad I have been able to be a part of the growth (mentally, emotionally and physically) of these characters... who they once where to who they have become.

That is really all I have to say on this topic at the moment... I am sure I will read it again within the next month to find more things I missed out on the first time.

Blessings to you and yours... I'm off to Las Vegas for the weekend to meet up with one of Brian's college buddy's and his wife. Yeah Pete & Nina!!

Love,
Cath

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Let's read something else together and then talk about it...yall have a fab time, lylaf, the mom

Lyndsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lyndsey said...

I just finished it! Now you are free to say whatever you want.