Sunday, September 07, 2008

Saying good-bye to old friends

Moving forward is hard....needed...but still hard.
I have been in Tucson for over two years now. The first job I got when I moved here was at Starbucks. I have been very thankful to be able to keep that job for the last two years. I have had other full-time jobs as well...but always kept the Starbucks gig on Saturdays to help pay for my coffee habit! :)

In the last two years I have also worn the same shoes for every day on the job at Starbucks.

This past Saturday my shoes felt different. When I went home I pulled my shoes off and looked at the bottom. The are completely worn flat and one of the shoes had a hole in them.

I decided that it was time for them to be retired. Sad...but needed...


But for the really sad story...
My favorite gray cotton shorts. I have had the shorts for almost as long as I have known Brian. I received these shorts when I joined the RL Turner High School Tennis team my senior year...in 1999.

These shorts have been worn multiple times a week since that time. I am sure that I should have turned them in at the end of the school year as they were part of our 'work out uniform'. Over the years and many washings the elastic has started to wear....actually, it doesn't exsist at all any more. Yet I still wear them proudly.

Brian hates these shorts and to be honest I completely understand why. I would totally fit in with Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch of the early 1990's with these shorts...if you get what I mean :)

I wore them out Friday night to run an errand to FedEx Kinkos. I couldn't let go of them the whole time because they kept falling down. I decided after that it might be time to 'lay them down to bed for good'. :)

This is a PTL moment for Brian and Valerie...but for me it is moving on, moving forward, letting go of my security blanket...

After I threw them in the trash Brian put his plate of food on it for added insurance as he put it.

6 comments:

Bachelor Paul said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Valerie said...

I really like the one of you hold up the shorts because it look like you used to be really overweight and holding them up to show how much weight you lost. Ha.

Cara said...

Aww I remember those shorts. You did wear them a lot. It was great seeing you last weekend.

Jan Kelley said...

cc.....what does PTL mean......i know just how you feel....i remember when clarence bit off a large section of the top side of my favorite flip-flops,which i had worn for years since i purchased them in about 1989....i just put duct tape on them and continued to wear them until about 1995 when the thing in between my toes broke...then i had to toss them..it was a sad moment, because i had worn them everywhere and had withstood a great deal of criticism and being made fun of, but i loved those pink and green flip flops,,i thought the duct tape gave them a certain charm....by the way, you mispelled (did i spell that word correctly) threw as in threw away....you wrote through as in i went through the door...please continue to hold your beautiful head up high if anyone other, than me, gives you a hard time about that...if you had gone to college, you would have learned which word to use.....jk....thanks for the posts and the pics......i am unable to tell you how excited i am about october 17 and especially the
18th...love you more than words can express.....jj

vicki said...

What a therapeutic moment to share! And you are photgenic, even in your grief and loss. And btw, you should get to go shoe shopping now; every girl needs her sensible shoes...but the shorts, well, Brian could have used them to polish his car or something, but, oh well. Guess yall just aren't as in to recycling as I am...

vicki said...

And JJ, you are kidding about PTL, right? First hint: Starts with "Praise th..."