Saturday, August 15, 2009

Veeves & Baklava

I got to talk with Veeves for about 3 hours this morning (her evening). It was wonderful. She called at 6:54 am Tucson time and I called her back about 7:30...it is now 11 am. So much for finishing my paper this morning. However, I am 100% NOT complaining and am so thankful we finally got to catch up. At the beginning of our conversation I mentioned that I had already bought all the ingredients for baklava so she just walked we through how to do it over the phone. It was so easy. I also started, finished and put away a load of laundry while we were on the phone, washed my bed sheets and made my bed. It was great!
Here is what it looked like right out of the oven.
'
A view from above

All the yummy layers!

Brian and I both had a piece and were really impressed. As I was taking a bit Veeves said, "You know what would be so good with that." I cut her off, "A scoop of Blue Bell ice cream". "That is exactly what I was thinking!" Veeves said...she didn't even call me Uncle Lindel for cutting her off! :)

I don't know if I shared this already but I thought it was just too pretty not to take a picture! I like to make things from scratch when I can and have the time. Since Brian and I are trying to somewhat watch what we eat it is hard to justify buying or ordering alfredo knowing that cream sauce is not the best thing for your body. However, I was craving fettucini alfredo so I went looking online at allrecipes.com to see if I could find anything decent. I found a great recipe that had almost 500 reviews and a rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. With all the cheeses and dairy that the recipe called for I used fat-free or skim instead and used the Brummel & Braun cream spread instead of sticks of butter. We didn't have fettucini noodles either so I just used the pasta I had on hand which added a nice color to it and instead of chicken we used crab & shrimp.

I was pretty impressed with myself and Brian liked it too! That always helps! :)

4 comments:

vicki said...

Both dishes look wonderful!! Good job. However, I do find it humorous on recipe #2 that you changed every single ingredient and still think you used the recipe you found online! Got to admit it was a good jumping off point, but I think you can give yourself credit for making one up!!

Unknown said...

I do what I can mom!! It was quite yummy whether or not I changed all the ingredients... :)

Unknown said...

The baklava looks delicious! I might have to make some more soon because it is that good! Good luck on the palachinki!

Do you think when you come visit in 1.5y, you can bring some Blue Bell?!

Chez said...

Yum, that pasta looks great! I substitute fat free dairy in creamy recipes all the time - sometimes it makes the texture turn out funny, but I'm sorry, I'm just not going to cook with full fat whipping cream. :) Way to go, Cat - less than a year as a wife, and you're already a gourmet! Brian's a lucky guy!!