Saturday, January 03, 2009

Day #3

I woke up with the same nagging headache. The sky was clear though and I figured I should get up and get going since this was the last day we were going to be able to board. We went out to the slopes at 9 am and didn't get back to the room until 3:30 that afternoon. The gondolas are only open from 8:30 am to 3:00 pm so we pretty much put in a full days work.

We took two gondolas up to arrive at the brand new Peak 2 Peak gondola. It is an 11 minute gondola ride that takes you from the peak of Whistler mountain (what we had skied the last few days) to the peak of Blackcomb mountain. It was phenomenal riding high over all the snow-covered trees and ridges of the mountains. We got a bunch of pictures that we will share later...along with the rest of them!!

While we were riding the gondola up Whistler mountain heading to the Peak 2 Peak we saw a helicopter roaming around. At first I thought some one was hurt and they were looking for a place to land. We got off the gondola and were taking pictures when we heard a very loud BOOM and then saw an avalanche. Apparently this helicopter was out patrolling and looking for potential avalanche problems and shoots something into it to create the fall before it falls on people...I guess...either way it was very neat to see from a far!

I did so much better on the last day than any other. That made we feel pretty good about my time. I did continue to fall but not nearly as much!

Last night for dinner we went to Whistler Village and had a lovely steak dinner. Well actually Brian had the Filet Mignon and I had a delicious Coconut crusted chicken breast! Both meals were divine and a great send off for a great honeymoon!!

We are slowly packing up this morning and will be heading back to Seattle to spend the evening with our sweet friends Pete & Nina!!

As always, I'll keep you posted!

3 comments:

Lyndsey said...

So glad yall had a blast (insert avalanche joke here). Can't help but notice that no mention ever appeared of a Christmas present like thing arriving...

Jan Kelley said...

CC, thanks so much for the posts. I am so happy for you two kids. I know you had a blast. You know, I used to be quite the skiier with my family. I even skied a double black diamond several times although not from the top to the bottom in one pass. I took it with several stops along the way, but i did do a double black diamond. skiing is more fun than anything else i believe. I dont know about snowboarding, but on two skies, it is a blast, as Lyndaey's so sweetly mentioned. Have a safe trip home and again, thanks for posting. Love to you both. jj

vicki said...

How lovely to end the ski part of the honeymoon on an up beat as it were! And too cool that you weren't an avalanche victim, yet still had the thrill thing going. Veevesie went with me and we finally purchased the replacement couch(es)which will be delivered from Weir's Thursday. We will forward pictures, which I am sure will equal the excitement which your own photos will bring to the internet world. Yall have a great time winding down til you get back to good ole T-town and the routine! I am confident the smiles which your memories bring will frequently cross your face as time goes by. Lylaf